McBroom: Help available during coronavirus emergency

McBroom: Help available during coronavirus emergency

LANSING, Mich. — State Sen. Ed McBroom reminded Upper Peninsula residents on Tuesday that help is available for those who are having a difficult time during the governor’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order.

“The governor’s stay home order and other measures that have been taken to slow the spread of the coronavirus are helping, but this time away from work, school and our normal everyday routines is also proving to be challenging,” said McBroom, R-Vulcan. “This time of fear and uncertainty is understandably affecting many people in ways they didn’t know or think was possible.

“We are all in this together and it is important that we check in on our loved ones during this time to offer help and support when possible, because together we will overcome this challenge.

If you or someone you know is having a hard time, you are not alone. And if you want to talk to someone, there is help.”

McBroom noted several state and national services that are available for people who may need help, including:

  • Michigan 211, which is available all day every day to connect with help of all kinds. Go to or call 2-1-1.
  • The Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7/365 crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters, like COVID-19. Call 800-985-5990 or visit
  • The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress and prevention and crisis resources. Call 800-273-8255 or go to
  • The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7/365 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship. Call 800-799-7233 or visit
  • A relationship with God or religious leaders can be of great benefit. Consider calling a local parish, church, or other place of worship for prayer or counseling.

McBroom and his staff continue to serve district residents during the state of emergency and are available to provide help where possible. Residents may call 517-373-7840 or send an email to [email protected].

Other information is available at and


Skip to content